2020's holiday shipping deadlines are coming up fast — but it's not too late to order from Amazon, Best Buy, and more stores
When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Choosing the perfect gift for everyone on your list is only half of the struggle; making sure it arrives on time is the real challenge.
- December 11 is the deadline for most retailers' standard shipping and December 15 for most shipping services' ground shipping.
- If you're looking for other options, consider buying online and picking up in-store.
- Check out all of our 2020 holiday gift guides to find great gifts for everyone on your list. If you're shopping on a budget, check out our round-up of the 200+ best holiday sales going on now.
Finding the perfect gift for everyone in your life is rarely an easy process (thankfully, we have tons of gift guides to help you out), but it's not over once you finally pick something out. You need to make sure it actually arrives in time — especially with the added difficulty of long-distance gatherings and mailing gifts to loved ones.
In true 2020 fashion, expected shipping dates are unpredictable, and retailers and shipping services are announcing earlier deadlines than ever if they announce any at all.
If you want to receive your gifts by Christmas, these are the dates, times, and shipping options you should know. Order arrival dates are much less predictable than they have been in years past, so keep a close eye on your estimated shipping date at checkout. Most retailers are using December 11 as a hard cut-off date to order by, and you'll need to ship by December 15 if you're using a shipping service. Long story short, order and ship your gifts as soon as possible.
The good news is that if time gets away from you, many of the major retailers offer buy online, pick up in-store options, which let you bypass the holiday shipping delays and grab your gifts as early as the same day you ordered them. The stores that have this policy are noted below.
2020 retailer shipping deadlines
Apple's delivery deadlines depend heavily on stock, but you can order some items, like the iPhone 12 mini and Apple Watch Series 6, as late as December 22. For a detailed list of deadlines for everything in Apple's lineup, check out the holiday shipping deadline list here.
If you've passed the "Order By" date on an item you want, Apple also offers same-day scheduled courier delivery and Apple Store pickup that may help you get exactly what you need before Christmas.
If you're an Amazon Prime member, there's no better place to find last-minute gifts than Amazon. This year, shoppers in eligible cities can order as late as Christmas Eve and still expect gifts in time.
- December 23: One-day delivery
- December 24: Same-day delivery
- December 24: 2-hour grocery delivery
To get your Best Buy order in time for Christmas, you can order as late as December 24 — if you're in an eligible area for Same-day shipping. For absolute last-minute shopping, you can also order with in-store or curbside pickup as late as December 24 at 6 p.m. and still get your gifts in time.
- December 23 (order by 8.p.m. local time): Next-day delivery
- December 24 (order by 12 p.m. local time): Same-day delivery
- Buy online, pick up in store: Yes, order by 6.p.m. local time
The Home Depot:
Another retailer without an official shipping deadline list, Home Depot is one you'll want to play it safe with when shopping. With standard shipping, we don't recommend ordering any later than December 11 — though services like Free 2-Day Delivery and Free In-Store Pickup mean you can potentially order as late as December 23 to get your orders in time for Christmas.
To get your order in time from Kohl's, you'll need to order very soon. Luckily, you can take advantage of its fast and free store pickup, in which you can get your order in 2 hours or less.
- December 11: Standard shipping (order by 1 p.m. local time)
- Buy online, pick up in store: Yes, order by 7 p.m. local time
With options including free store pickup, shipping to your home, and scheduled truck delivery, you can still find a way to get your Lowe's order even if you don't meet the deadline.
- December 10: Standard shipping (order by noon ET)
- Buy online, pick up in store: Yes
If you're hoping to use free shipping from Patagonia (free with orders over $49), you'll need to order by December 11. Faster shipping methods will cost you anywhere from $9 to $29.
- December 11: Free (order by 3 p.m. ET)
- December 16: Standard (order by 3 p.m. ET)
- December 21: 2-day (order by 3 p.m. ET)
- December 23: Next day (order by 3 a.m. ET)
- Buy online, pick up in store: Yes
- Read our review of the Patagonia Fleecelab collection
Similar to other major retailers this holiday season, Target hasn't released an official holiday shipping deadline schedule. Our advice is to play it save and place any orders before December 11 if you're opting for standard shipping at checkout. Otherwise, options like Same Day Delivery with Shipt or in-store pickup may be a better option if you're cutting it close to Christmas.
For gifts from Walmart, you can order as late as December 24 to get your gifts in time. Walmart Plus members can utilize many of these shipping services for no additional cost.
- December 19: 2-day delivery (order by 2 p.m. local time)
- December 21: Next-day delivery (order by 2 p.m. local time)
- December 24: Delivery from store
- December 24: Express delivery (order by 1 p.m. local time)
- Order online, pick up in store: Yes (order by December 24 at 1 p.m. local time)
2020 shipping service deadlines
DHL has yet to release an official calendar of shipping deadlines for 2020, but it's probably safe to assume a cut-off of December 15 for all of its domestic shipping services. Shipping internationally is trickier, but you can get a rate and time quote for your specific shipment here.
Of the shipping services, FedEx offers the most options for you to get your package delivered, with options even available on Christmas Day. Deadlines listed below are exclusive to the US.
- December 9: FedEx SmartPost
- December 15: FedEx Home Delivery, FedEx Ground
- December 21: FedEx Express Saver, 3Day Freight
- December 22: FedEx 2Day, 2Day A.M., 2Day Freight
- December 23: FedEx 1Day Freight, Extra hours, Standard Overnight, Priority Overnight, First Overnight
- December 25: FedEx SameDay, SameDay City Priority, SameDay City Direct
For shipping deadlines to other, non US destinations, read more here.
With the options listed below, you can ship as late as December 23 using UPS. UPS stores are closed on Christmas Day, but you can still look into UPS Express Critical service if you're in dire need.
- December 15: UPS Ground
- December 21: UPS 3 Day Select
- December 22: UPS 2nd Day Air
- December 23: UPS Next Day Air
US Postal Service:
With USPS, it's as easy as getting shipping supplies online or from your local post office, printing shipping labels, and dropping off your package or scheduling a pickup. Post office locations might have varying hours as we get closer to Christmas Day, so save yourself the hassle and check if your location is open here.
- December 15: USPS Retail Ground
- December 18: First-Class Mail
- December 19: Priority Mail
- December 23: Priority Mail Express
For deadlines for Alaska, Hawaii, and international shipping, read more here.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article