How to add DuckDuckGo to a Google Chrome browser to get a privacy-focused default search engine
- You can add DuckDuckGo to Google Chrome as an extension to make it your default search engine and begin searching the web with greater privacy.
- You can also make DuckDuckGo your default search engine in Chrome's settings menu, without installing the extension.
- It's easy to switch back to Google or any other search engine at any time.
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you're a fan of the privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo, you might want to make it your default search engine or add its browser extension to Google Chrome. Installing the extension automatically makes DuckDuckGo your default search engine when using Chrome.
How to make DuckDuckGo your default search engine on Chrome
1. Click the three-dot menu icon at the top right of the Chrome window. In the dropdown menu, choose "Settings."
2. On Chrome's Settings page, click "Search engine" at the left side of the page.
3. In the Search engine section of the main page, click the dropdown menu to the right of "Search engine used in the address bar."
4. Click "DuckDuckGo."
How to add the DuckDuckGo extension to Chrome
1. Open the DuckDuckGo webpage in Chrome.
2. In the upper right corner of the webpage, click the three horizontal lines (DuckDuckGo's hamburger menu). In the dropdown menu, choose "App and Extension."
3. On DuckDuckGo's app page, click "Add to Chrome."
4. The Chrome Web Store page should appear. Click "Add to Chrome" again. Confirm you want to do this by clicking "Add extension" in the pop-up window.
5. The extension is now installed. If you don't see it, you can pin it to the browser's toolbar by clicking the "Extensions" icon (shaped like a puzzle piece) and then clicking the pin to the right of DuckDuckGo.
6. You can click the extension icon to see additional search settings and statistics about your DuckDuckGo searches.
How to remove the DuckDuckGo extension from Chrome
If you decide you don't want to keep the DuckDuckGo extension, here's how to delete it from Chrome.
1. Click the Extensions icon in Chrome's toolbar – it's shaped like a puzzle piece.
2. In the dropdown menu, click the three dots to the right of DuckDuckGo.
3. In the pop-up menu, choose "Remove from Chrome…" and then confirm you want to do this by clicking "Remove" in the pop-up window.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to change your default search engine on Microsoft Edge, and search with the website you like best
How to make Google your default search engine on any major web browser
How to remove Google Chrome extensions from your browser, or disable them
'Why does my search engine keep changing to Yahoo?': How to reset your browser settings to remove a potential virus
How to change your default search engine in Firefox on a computer or mobile device
Source: Read Full Article