PIP claim: How to appeal if you think DWP has made a wrong decision

Personal Independence Payment: Advice on how to claim

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Almost three (2.9) million Britons depend on Personal Independence Payments (PIP), others are put off applying in the first place or have their claim rejected and leave it there. However, it could be worth appealing the DWP’s decision as a significant number of them are overturned, a charity has warned.

A leading charity is urging people to consider appealing PIP decisions as more than half of those who do, have the decision overturned at tribunal.

On the Citizen’s Advice website it states: “It can take a long time to get to a tribunal hearing – how long it takes will vary depending on where you live.

“The process can be draining but it’s worth remembering that more than half of people who appeal their PIP decision win at a tribunal.

“If you feel the decision is wrong, don’t be put off appealing.

“You can get help with your appeal from your local Citizens Advice, or a local disability support agency.”

Santander is offering savings rates of 2.5% and you only need £1 [UPDATE]
Man shocked after receiving false energy bill over £15,000 [ALERT]
I never thought I’d be so poor’ Pensioner shares money saving tips [INSIGHT]

How to appeal a PIP decision

First of all, claimants are directed to contact the DWP to explain their reasoning behind their decision.

People can ask the DWP for a mandatory reconsideration which is when it looks at the decision again and decides whether to change it.

Britons have one month from the date on the decision letter to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration, which should be done in writing.

Once the DWP has looked at its decision again, people should receive a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice which will tell them if it has changed the decision.

After that, claimants can take it to a tribunal where it will be considered independently.

People can ask for help with their appeal from Citizens Advice, a disability support group or Macmillan Cancer Support.

Asking for the free support that’s available can increase someone’s chance of having the decision overturned as professionals will be trained in the process.

What is happening where you live? Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea

Daily living part

Lower weekly rate – £61.85
Higher weekly rate – £92.40

Mobility part

Lower weekly rate – £24.45
Higher weekly rate – £64.50

For more information, people can go to Gov.uk.

Source: Read Full Article