PIP claimants can receive support and discounts on travel – full details on eligibility

Martin Lewis discusses universal credit help for those on PIP

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

PIP payments can help with the extra costs associated with ill-health, with up to £151.40 per week awarded to those with serious conditions. However, on top of the regular payments, PIP can entitle claimants to other forms of support such as council tax reductions and additional benefit top-ups.

Additionally, PIP eligibility can help with travel costs.

According to Citizens Advice, when a person gets their PIP award letter, they’ll be able to apply for a:

  • Disabled Persons Railcard
  • Blue Badge in England and Wales
  • Vehicle tax discount of 50 percent – if they get the standard PIP mobility rate
  • Vehicle tax discount of 100 percent – if you get the enhanced PIP mobility rate

PIP recipients may also qualify for free local bus travel in England and Wales but they will need to contact their local councils for further details.

Enhanced PIP mobility rate claimants will also be able to use the motability scheme, which allows people to gain access to certain vehicles such as powered wheelchairs.

To be eligible for PIP initially, claimants must be aged between 16 and state pension age.

They must also have a health condition or disability where they have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months.

London dominating EU with almost half of world’s currency trading [INSIGHT]
PIP claimants may trigger benefit fraud alerts – full details [WARNING]
Martin Lewis quizzes Citizens Advice boss on PIP rules

These difficulties must also be expected to continue for at least nine months.

Claimants will usually also need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of the countries when they apply.

Those who live abroad may still be able to get PIP if they live in an EU, EEA country or Switzerland, but only for daily living needs.

It should be noted that it is not possible to get PIP at the same time that Armed Forces Independence Payments are being awarded.

PIP awards themselves are split into two categories, with claimants able to receive income from both depending on the severity of their condition.

There is a daily living part which provides a weekly rate of either £59.70 or £89.15.

A mobility part is also available, with either £23.60 or £62.25 being paid out.

So long as a claimant is eligible, they will be paid once every four weeks.

Initial claims can be made over the phone or through the post and claimants will need to have the following information ready:

  • Their contact details
  • Their date of birth
  • Their National Insurance number
  • Their bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Their doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • The dates and addresses for any time they’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Do you have a money dilemma which you’d like a financial expert’s opinion on? If you would like to ask one of our finance experts a question, please email your query to [email protected] 

Source: Read Full Article